Exeter Universities’ Radio Stations’ Blog (est. 2009)

www.xpressionfm.com

Contact the Studio: 01392 26 35 68 OR 73568 from your campus phone

Friday 5 June 2009

Stevie Time

Listening to: The Stranglers - Golden Brown


O dear, i've been very bad with keeping this blog updated at the moment! Great apologies, but alas, revision has become what i eat and breath at the moment.... but here's a little Q&A time with our beloved Stevie Hopwood, who has contributed and dedicated so much time to Xpression over her three years at Uni...




How the devil are you? You sad to be finishing your time at the Exe??

I'm very well thank you, I just had a glorious breakfast (cherry and Strawberry Crisp with fresh Banana slices mmmmmmmm) out in the sun so a rather good start to the day I feel. Aww Exeter, yes yes it shall be sad, I'll miss it dearly.

Hows the exam stress going?… or have you been one of the lucky ones who get hardly any summer exams?

Don't hate me but I've never actually had an exam an Uni! Drama does things differently; I've had a final Performance and now I have one essay to complete but ages of time in which to do it, so I have been able to enjoy the sun without feeling too guilty.

How long have you been involved with Xpression?

I've been involved with xpression since my first week at Uni, I joined the music team and I never looked back! (so that's almost three years)

What have you done within Xpression?

Goodness, ummm well the music team was a rather large commitment in first and second year, firstly on the team and then I was Head of Music with Mr Edgar Dawkins for a year. I was also Studio Manager for a year, and I started up the Radio play shizzle (we are slowly getting some plays edited...stay tuned over the last weeks of term and you should hear some...), I do some production bits and bobs, oooh I also designed an open mic flyer once!

Your personal highlights? Great memories?

wow, there are so many...I'll go through the years....I think one of the defining moments when I decided I was going to stick around was The Guillemots gig in my first year - xpression got me in for free and I was in awe! oooh my second interview for the station was with the Horrors, I remember being terrified but they turned out to the the nicest guys and we discussed our favourite tea dunking biscuits...it was lovely. Second year highlights would have to be... The Maccabees private serenade in the studio - twas an absolute gem of a highlight (anyone who listens to any of my shows will know how much I love the Maccabees), and meeting a somewhat bonkers Jack Penate was pretty entertaining.
Creating the Pantomime and going to One Big Weekend this year are third year highlights!

What do you think Xpression has done for you?

Quite frankly it has made my University Experience. It's kept me very busy and happy! And it has most definitely helped with my confidence.

How many shows have you had? What have they been called?

I actually haven't had that many...but I suppose you could say I started as a 'weather girl' on Egga and Tom's 1400 show in first year. This then moved on to Egga and I co presenting the Nude Music show (which was mighty fun), and then finally onto my own show... The xpression fm Bookclub.

What has been your favourite show by your fellow DJs?

Radio Catfish, I try my best to stay up in order to listen to it.

I heard along the grapevine that you got work experience over the Easter break with Virgin Radio- how was it??

Absolute (as it's called now) was great thanks, It's such a massive station so it took ages to learn people's names and to remember my way around, but the people were all so welcoming and I learnt a lot from them. Obviously there was plenty of tea and coffee making but sitting in on live sessions and shows made up for it! They've got crazy cool editing equipment and their studio's are beautiful!

Now what does the future hold for Ms Stevie Hopward? Is radio something you're going to pursue or is there a greater calling for your services in the world??


hmmm I'm not a fan of this question Ms Saint! It's all I seem to be answering these days... If I'm honest I don't quite know. I would love to work in the radio or Music Industry. But I'm also drawn towards Children's Publishing... the choice is a difficult one. Can I get back to you in a couple of years please?!Is that ok?! I should probably do some work now...

Sparkly sunshine wishes,

Stevie x x x

so there you have it folks, if your going to be around next year then really get involved in Xpression. As Stevie has demonstrated, it can really make your uni experience and give you opportunities (like meeting bands, interviewing them, going to free gigs) which you would never get with any other Exeter society!

and who knows.... you might discover you can be the next *insert favourite DJ* (like Chris Moyles, Nick Grimshaw etc etc )...


word.

No comments:

Post a Comment