Exeter Universities’ Radio Stations’ Blog (est. 2009)

www.xpressionfm.com

Contact the Studio: 01392 26 35 68 OR 73568 from your campus phone

Thursday 14 May 2009

Open Mic Night

Listening to: James Dixon - Constellations (Jack Johnson cover)
Last night was another exciting Open Mic night down at the Lemmy. Drinks at cheapo student prices, live music, a drunken Edgar presenting the show with innuendos flowing, what more could you want?!
This term has proven to be not as busy and heaving as the rest of the year, but its understandable, what with the stress of exams looming... i managed to rise out of my suicidal ditch/cave of my room and make it up to the Lemmy around 10pm, so unfortunately i missed the first couple of acts...
But like usual, there was a crowd taking in the sights and sounds of the talent of campus which included James Dixon and a band (who had just finished rehearsal but we managed to nab them for a slot on-stage) called 'Under the Gun' (see below). They managed to successfully improvise a drum kit with a table...

and of course, we had our ever faithful performer, amazing acoustic extraordinaire, James Dixon.....

He played a load of songs, including a Jack Johnson cover. Rosie and I decided to save this week's acts and make an epic 'Open Mic Highlights' programme with next weeks performances.
Anywho, i caught up with Monsieur Dixon and gave him a lil' grilling.....

Alright there James, give us a bit of a background of yourself, like what do you study? When did you begin playing the guitar??

I study the wonderful Biological and Medicinal Chemistry and I'm in my 2nd year. I've been playing since i was 9 years old, but I was 12 when i first played in front of people (my first ever performance was stairway to heaven at my year seven Christmas concert - i have never been so nervous in my life), and I've been practising ever since!

You're a faithful open mic attendee, what was your first Lemmy performance like? Ever had a really memorable time?

I remember my first time because i brought about 40 people from the surf club down and they wouldn't shut up, i felt quite bad for the other performers because my rabble were just too loud. I never brought them again. A favourite was a Halloween open mic night in the first year when i did an entire set dressed as the phantom of the opera, and also the time i did a duet with the Great Jack Corrigall where i had the opportunity to play 'Seasons' by Chris Cornell, the way it should be played.

Sounds delightful, Jack Corrigall always makes a damn good night. But what's your ultimate favourite song to perform acoustic stylee?

Normally my favourite song to play is the one which is newest to me, but in general my favourite is 'Masters of War' by Bob Dylan, although i never get a chance to play it because, well... lets just say its not the worlds most uplifting song.

Well, someday you'll have to bust it out for us to hear! Anything gone drastically wrong on stage before?

The worst thing that ever happened on stage was back home playing with my band, the jack socket on my Telecaster was loose so when i plugged in my lead, the entire electrical guts the guitar fell out and there was no way it could be played, that was pretty shit. Another time when i was pretty young, we were playing a gig in barn with a really bad sound system which wasn't properly earthed and i kept getting massive electric shocks through the mic but had to keep playing.

Bloody hell! You ever lost your temper or been heckled while on stage?

I've never been maliciously heckled, only by people i know who don't really mean anything bad. Fingers crossed i never will be.
And I've only ever lost my temper once and that was just before i went on stage, about a 2 months ago i was playing a gig and the sound tech was an absolute...well he wasn't my favourite person, he wouldn't listen to anything i had to say about my sound or what i needed and was generally of the opinion that anyone who plays and acoustic guitar solo is a whining talentless waste of his time, so i lost my temper...next question please!

Haha fair enough! Moving on to a cheesy question but i am curious..... who's your ultimate guitar hero??

TOMMY EMMANUEL is my ultimate favourite, while I'm sure that there are those who would not agree that he is the best technical guitar player (he's still the best I've ever heard) he is a master of stage presence and entertainment and that is what i aspire to when i play. It almost doesn't matter what you play as long as you engage the audience when you do and Tommy Emmanuel is the best there is at what he does in my opinion. Im going to see him in December, so excited i could cry!

Ahh awesome!! I've heard your really involved in the Surf Society (the President?), but if someone had a gun to your head and you had to either burn your surf board or your guitar, which would you choose?

Aha well I'm actually Vice Captain (just so i don't get in trouble) and that's easy, I'd burn my surfboard, purely because a surfboard is less expensive than my guitar. Economics in practice.

Sneaky. And finally, lets finish on a personal note... just go ahead and describe your perfect day!

Up at dawn, massive breakfast. Head to my favourite beach, Ribhiera d'hilas in Portugal for a surf with only me and my housemates out. After that have massive lunch of toasties (i friggin love toasties) washed down with a pint of Doom bar. Then go to watch Pearl Jam in the evening (I've still never seen my favourite band play) with everyone i know, then a beer with Eddie Vedder. After that go for a steak dinner at Harry's and retire to bed with a certain lady who must remain nameless....




A big thanks to James for answering the Q&A and for performing so many awesome songs on Wednesday night... until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment